Painting

Painters with MCS have been injured. They are at risk whenever they take up a brush, open a tube of paint, or prepare a canvas. There are almost no non-toxic art materials. Pigments, solvents, fixatives, binders, gessos, all manner of art materials contain toxic substances which can be inhaled, injested, or absorbed through the skin. To continue to work, painters with MCS must search out less toxic alternatives. This often requires changing mediums, methods of working, or both. Those painters who persevere, who are able to find materials they can tolerate, and who continue to work, are indeed fortunate.